Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pride and Prejudice

Suessical is over and was a big success. We were sold out every night and had lines down the block. This was the first play I didn't want to see end. I loved doing it and would do it again in a heart beat, half a heart beat.

But on to new thing. I was just cast as Mrs. Bennet in Pride and Prejudice. I am completely freaking out. My fear of this role is for completely different reasons than my fear of the last role. Jane Austen fans take these characters very personally. They have their own ideas of how the character should be and how they shouldn't be. They have no fear of telling you you screwed up the character. I just don't want to disappoint the JA fans who come and see the show. I know I can't please everyone but I want them to enjoy my interpretation of Mrs. Bennet.

I'm loving playing her. She is so crazy and full of energy. I can't wait tell I hit that point as an actor and completely lose myself in the character.

Last night, we had our first off book run through. Besides half the cast absent for the evening, prior commitments and stomach flu, I think it went well. I remembered most of my lines but I completely screwed up peoples names. I kept calling Mr. Bennet Mr. Bingly. JA and I have to have a talk about naming her characters. They both start with 'B' and that is causing me problems. We'll do tea and figure it all out, I'm sure.lol

I love JA. I want to be JA but with wizards and dragons. If they can do JA with zombies I can do it with wizards and dragons, right? My book will be titled "The Magical World of Pride and Prejudice." Mrs. Bennet is a witch and puts a love spell on Mr. Bingly. Well that's all I got so far, it's a real work in progress, or not, well maybe. Who knows. I'm going to kick this around a little and see where it goes.

Well, I'm off to go over my lines.
Shel

No comments:

Post a Comment