Friday, May 7, 2010

A picture is worth 1,000 words.



This is a photo by Tricia Bateman in a book by Phillip Sexton called "A picture is worth 1,000 words: image-driven story prompts and exercises for writers."

I picked up this book today and decided that I would write a short story for every prompt and picture in the book. That would be 112 short stories.

This is an excerpt from Sexton's book describing what the writer should do.

Interpretations
(Sexton, P. & Bateman, T., 2007. "A Picture is worth 1,000 Words: image-driven story prompts and exercises for writers." Pg. 12-13. Writer's Digest Books, Ohio.)
Exercise: Some night see the photo (above) as having a limited number of interpretations. Challenge yourself to think of two entirely different stories, using the image as you setting.
So that is what I'm going to do. Check back at the end of the month for my stories related to this picture prompt.
Shel

1 comment:

  1. I have started working on the story for this picture. It has gotten away from me. It has turned into a book idea. I'm going to rework it and try to make it into a short story. If I feel that I just can't, the story is too big, I will come up with a new idea for the picture.

    Stay tune,
    Shel

    ReplyDelete